This guide is part of Learn SharePoint Branding and shows the deployment process of Master Pages and Page Layouts in basics words.
This post is part of my SharePoint 2010 Branding training:
What is deployed?
Deploying Master Pages and Page Layouts involves the following components:
- Which files belong to the feature
- Where to upload in the site collection
- *.master and *.aspx
Files referenced in elements.xml
Code behind for Master Pages or Page Layouts
Where is deployed?
If the feature is deployed to a web application it becomes available at the scope site collection. The feature.xml and the elements.xml are written to the file system in the features folder.
Master Pages and Page Layouts are also written to the same folder.
Assemblies are deployed to the Global Assembly Cache (GAC). Additionally files referenced in the elements.xml are uploaded to the SharePoint library called Master Pages Gallery.
Things to know!
- If you retract the feature *.master and *.aspx files will remain in the Master Pages Gallery.
- You need to deactivate and activate the feature if you deploy changes to the elements.xml and want them to show up in the Master Pages Gallery.
- Changes to *.master and *.aspx files are reflected without feature reactivation.
The guide was an excerpt from my popular book: